1.How do I apply for a state job?
- Go to www.personnel.ky.gov
- Click on “Find a Job"
- Search by category, such as county, job, pay grade, etc.
- Choose a job to apply to.
2.Do veterans get hiring preference?
- Yes. When applying for a job, go to www.personnel.ky.gov
- Click on “Find a Job"
- Scroll down to find Veterans & Spouses
Candidates must submit a DD-214 to receive veterans preference Veterans preference means that the hiring manager must offer up to five veterans an interview.
3. How long does it take to be hired by the state?
It can take awhile. Candidates apply to registers found at www.personnel.ky.gov
Registers are posted for a minimum of ten days. Managers review applications and schedule interviews. This can take a week or two. Then, background checks are conducted and references are verified. Once a job offer is made, most candidates wish to give a minimum of two weeks' notice to their current employer. Most state employees start at the beginning of a pay period, which is the 1st or 16th of each month.
4. How long do I wait until I receive my first pay check?
Timesheets are entered at the end of each pay period. They are processed and paid on the next
pay date. For example, if an employee started on 9/01/2021, they would turn in their timesheet
on 09/16/2021 and be paid on 09/30/2021. In a similar manner, each pay period is paid on the
following pay date.
5. Where can I find out information about being a merit employee?
Information about merit employment is available in the employee handbook
6. What is the retirement plan for state employees?
Kentucky Public Pensions Authority (KPPA)
Your future security and ability to reach your retirement goals are important to us. The Kentucky Public Pensions Authority (KPPA) is a defined benefit plan, providing a guaranteed payout at retirement. There are also disability and death benefits available to KPPA members and their beneficiaries. For more information about the Kentucky Public Pensions Authority, please visit their
7. What insurances are available to state employees?
Competitive rates and numerous options for health and life insurance, with payroll deduction options for dental, vision and other insurance. https://kypersonnelcabinet.csod.com/ats/careersite/search.aspx?site=18&c=kypersonnelcabinet
8. What paid time off is available to state employees?
Leave and Holidays
Team members receive eleven and a half paid holidays each year, in addition to monthly sick, annual, compensatory leave, and a number of special leave options. https://kypersonnelcabinet.csod.com/ats/careersite/search.aspx?site=20&c=kypersonnelcabinet
9. What discounts are available to state employees?
Employee Discount Program Businesses throughout Kentucky regularly enjoy showing their appreciation to state employees by offering employee discounts. For more information, please visit the Employee Discount page. https://personnel.ky.gov/Pages/Discounts.aspx